Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Friday, February 24, 2012 | By: Traci

Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry

The GiverThe Giver by Lois Lowry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Honestly, I really wasn't sure what I was getting into when I began to read this. I mean, I knew the basic plot, I knew things in this community where Jonas and his family live, is something foreign to us. After all, we do not live such a structured, basic life. We have choices, we're allowed to make those choices. We have things like colors, and memories and differences.

For Jonas as the new receiver of memories, doesn't have the luxury at first, of knowing what all of the above things are. Once he receives his job assignment as the receiver he begins to experience parts of life that he had never known: pain, love, loss, hunger, loneliness and warmth.

Not only that, he begins to learn that his community is a bit different than he knows. People lie. Lies are everywhere. These things are meant to protect, but really, the people lying are doing terrible, evil things. He thinks it's time for a change.

I think the scariest thing about this book is how raw it gets when we get deeper into the story. What we see is a perfect place where everyone is happy and everything appears wonderful because there is no sickness, no war, no crime. They aren't even allowed to have basic choices, like deciding whom to date, what job they want to do. Can you imagine living there knowing all the things that we used to have, like choices?

It's just a really strange thing to wrap my head around; the concept of it all. What's scarier is thinking about how our world could possibly turn into that someday. I'm not saying it really could happen, but just thinking about the what if's is what makes it scary.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.