Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tuesday, November 1, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the WindThe Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've never been one for large fantasy books. In fact, I really just started reading longer fantasy books when I joined the bookclub on LJ. I'm glad I decided to read this book this time around because it was really, really good.

The beginning for me was a bit slow. It was sort of hard to get into because the story slowly unfolded. Don't get me wrong, I like suspense, I like building up to things, but it took a long time for us to really get the story. I think that is what made the beginning so slow. We really weren't sure what was going on. It took quite awhile for the story of Kvothe to build and that made it painfully slow. However, when the story finally unfolded, it really took off and I am so glad I read it.

I think what made this book so great to read was, it felt like speaking to an old friend. The story telling from Kvothe to Chronicler was smooth, it transitioned well and it wasn't boring. I really liked the short story breaks where Kvothe paused to do something, or to gather his thoughts. It really made it feel like we were sitting in a room with someone while they were talking and telling us stories. Kvothe kind of feels like an old friend that you're sitting and catching up with.

Also, the story, once we start digging into the past of Kvothe, is really, really interesting. I liked his university days and I liked hearing about him learning magic. I think this book took a completely different turn when it came to magic. Other books dive in and just show someone using it. Rothfuss dug as far as to actually show us how he used it, not to mention the mechanics behind the things used to conjure and use magic.

If you're in the mood for a long fantasy read, this is definitely a great one to get into. It will not disappoint!

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.