Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thursday, October 27, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: Jenny Pox by J.L Bryan

Jenny Pox (The Paranormals #1)Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm really glad I waited until this book was free before I decided to get it and read it.

This book starts out pretty normal. We have our outcast character going through the motions of being someone that is cursed with the ability to give every living thing she touches the plague. Then we move to current day where Jenny is living with her father trying to avoid touching people for fear of spreading a terrible illness and possibly killing them in the process.

Things quickly get really, really strange from there. We meet a lot of the local teens that Jenny attends school with. Most of them are pretty regular characters until we meet Ashleigh, a girl that is very, very hard pressed for attention and will stop at nothing to get what she wants, regardless of whom she hurts in the process. She's a fraud but lucky for her, she has powers too and can make everyone do what she wants, when she wants simply by touching them. However, Ashleigh isn't the only one with powers. You'll have to read the rest to find out more.

This book is classified as a YA novel, but really, there are some parts that are definitely not YA material. I'm a pretty open minded person and I believe in letting teens read things they are mature enough to handle, but there is one, very large scene in this novel that I'm not sure I'd want any teen to read. It's just not appropriate for a YA novel.

There are one or two parts in this book that just seem out of place or at least a very incorrect thing to place at the time. Sometimes they're quite childish and they left me wondering why I just read what I read. Was it really necessary? To me they didn't seem like something that needed to be a part of the plot.

Also, on the topic of Ashleigh, she's an extremely one dimensional character with only one thing on her mind and I'm not sure how everyone was so willing to believe her. I know she had the ability to change people's opinions and make them do things for her, but it doesn't seem logical that she'd have the ability to touch EVERY SINGLE PERSON to make them believe her. It doesn't seem logical that an adult character that was not falling for her charms, would not be able to make other people see what she was up to.

All in all, it was an OK read. I'm not sure this is something I'd pay to read and I'm not sure I'd continue the series. It's a really strange story that I think will just continue to grow stranger.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.