Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: Dead of Night: A Zombie Novel by Jonathan Maberry (ARC)

Dead of Night: A Zombie NovelDead of Night: A Zombie Novel by Jonathan Maberry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have to start this review by saying I've never read a zombie novel before this. In fact, I really didn't start to enjoy the zombie genre until a year or so ago and even then I slowly immersed myself in it. So with that being said I'll move on to my review.

I felt the opening of this was a bit slow. And at first, I wasn't very keen on Officer Fox. I thought she was kind of brash and really trying to prove something that she didn't need to prove. However, as her story began to play out, I became very fond of Fox and wanted her to make it out alive. The partnership between her and her partner JT was wonderful. I really thought those two characters worked together well and it was very apparent that these two characters cared for each other and were willing to do what it took to ensure each other's safety.

Now, when it comes to the outbreak of the zombie virus, I thought it was very well done. The idea behind this zombie outbreak is not one that I've heard before. I've heard lots of things about failed government experiments but I haven't heard anything about doctor's seeking revenge and really doing it in the worst way possible. It seems that this was meant to fail from the beginning and the evil of our first zombie victim just was not meant to end.

The action in this book built up slowly. It just kept building and building and building until we finally reached an all out zombie war full of guns and other weapons meant to take down the walking dead. I think one of the better parts about reading through this book is the few chapters from the perspective of a zombie. We find out that this person is fully aware of what they're doing and yet, they cannot stop their actions no matter how hard they try. This makes for great insight I think because we really are only thinking about how horrible this outbreak is rather than, do the zombies think? Do they know what they're doing? Do they even want to stop?

I also feel this book ended on a good note. We're left hanging but it's not in a bad way. Some books ends are a terrible point, they leave us wanting more. I didn't feel that way with this book. I felt like, even though we're left hanging, we're left at a good point. We may be left wondering but if you have any sort of imagination at all, you should be able to fill in the blanks as to what happened next.

This is a definite must read! Thanks to LibraryThing for this novel for review!

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.