Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed
Rating: 4 out of 5
Starcrossed
Summary: Helen spends most of her life attempting to get by without being noticed. Being noticed tends to give her really bad stomach pains, way worse than anything she's ever felt before. When a new family moves into town, Helen begins to see weeping, bleeding woman around them. They whisper things to her and tell her they must die. When she attempts to kill Lucas, one of the most attractive boys from the Delos clan, both families try to put it behind them. Lucas and Helen try to avoid each other at all costs, that is until someone attempts to kill Helen. When she runs off assuming the Delos family wants her dead, she flies. Yes, she begins to fly and promptly faints, meaning Lucas must rescue her. When the successful rescue finally puts an end to the furies, Helen learns something very startling about herself: she is a demigod descended from a Greek god. And more importantly? Someone wants her dead.

My thoughts: When I first started this book, I really wasn't sure what to think. I've never read a book about demigods before. I like mythology so I wasn't worried about the fact that I would hate the part of mythology. I was more worried that a story line about demigods would be too annoying or too silly for me to enjoy. However, I really enjoyed this book. I mean really really enjoyed it.

My main complaint at first was not the main character Helen, but her friend Claire. She came off as overly pushy and kind of a bully. I began to wonder what a character like Helen, so shy and reserved was doing with someone like Claire. The two just didn't seem to fit together well as friends. Then, as we got to know Helen more, I started to hate that she was such a pushover. She just let people get away with treating her horribly because she'd rather not be noticed. She just seemed to fall in line and try to keep everyone happy too much. It really is an annoying trait to just roll over all the time.

Then, things became interesting when Helen and her father's friend are attacked. Once Helen realizes her powers, she starts to become more interesting. It's like a veil is lifted and Helen can finally reveal her true self. Finally, we start to see someone that is confident, powerful and can make her own decisions without letting someone tell her what she can and cannot do. I enjoyed seeing Helen work on developing her powers. I really became to like Helen, so much in fact, I was very disappointed to her her crush and fellow demigod tell a relative that he would never touch her, in such a tone that was really heartbreaking.

I found it very easy to get into this story and I really enjoyed reading it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.