Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Monday, September 5, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander
Rating: 4 out of 5

OutlanderSummary: Claire, a war nurse and her husband Frank are taking a holiday in Scotland. Frank is researching some of his relatives while Claire takes in the scenery and local plants and herbs as she's interested slightly in herbal uses. When Claire visits a small stone circle with a man that is helping her check out local plants, she decides to take her husband, whom in turn wants to visit again to watch the local druids perform a ritual. Claire returns to check out a plant she saw at the stones and is transplanted through time, about 200 hundred years in the past really, to a time where wars are ravaging the countries. Claire helps a Scottish highlander only to be taken by them as they're not sure if she really can be trusted. Before long, Claire finds herself married to Jamie, a strong but very much in trouble Highlander. At first, the marriage isn't something she wanted, but before long, she begins to forget about her husband Frank and when presented with a chance to return home, she decides against it. Deciding that she'd rather stay with Jamie, she risks her life trying to save him.

My thoughts: Well this turned out to be better than I expected. It got off to a slow start. The relationship Claire and her husband had was kind of annoying. I really felt Frank was sort of a flat character. Claire herself wasn't that great with him but things got better when Claire traveled through the stones and ended up in Scotland in the 1700's.

I think Claire fought a long time with the fact that she had in fact, gone back in time. I feel as if it took her quite a long time to figure that out. Then again, I'm not sure how I'd act if I were transported back in time either. I really enjoyed seeing Claire in a different time however. I think she adjusted to the different time rather well. Maybe a little too well. She fell right into jobs and places easily. Not to mention, she was considered a healer in a time when women healers probably really weren't held in high regard.

While I really enjoyed the relationship Claire had with her new husband, Jame, a Scottish Highlander, I was sort of disappointed when Claire chose not to try going back in time when she had the chance. I wanted to see how she would react going back to her time, being with her husband and if she would choose to go back to be with Jamie and give up living in her own time again.

All in all, this turned out to be a lot better than most of the book led me to believe. I am considering reading the rest of the series now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.