Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Monday, August 22, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: The First Victim by J.B Lynn (ARC)

The First Victim
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

The First VictimSummary: To the Baby Doll Strangler, Emily Wright is the one that got away. Emily was kidnapped some 15 years earlier but was saved by a childhood friend, Evan, as she tried to climb out of where she was kept. Since those horrifying days, Emily hasn't returned home. She's lived in New York, avoiding home as much as possible. Then, Bailey, her childhood friend and crush calls her at work telling her she needs to come home as her father has been in a terrible accident, and her sister Laurie is now alone and scared, she reluctantly returns home. At first, she convinces herself that she's just paranoid and that things are fine until the body of Jackie, one of Laurie's friends ends up dumped in her driveway, dead. It becomes clear; the killer is back and he's stalking her. She must face her fears and fight back or die.

My thoughts: I received a copy of this from NetGalley for review. This is one of those books that grabs you from the beginning and it's so very hard to put down. I started the book late last night before bed and thankfully, it was the weekend and I didn't have to do anything because it was so hard to put down. Lynn does a great job at personifying a sick, demented serial killer. I think she does a great job telling us all the gross, grim details about this very depraved person that just wants to get the one that got away.

Pinning down the real killer was a tough job. This isn't one of those books that gives it away so easily. I went through several suspects before I finally did make sense of who it was. I had my eyes on the character early in the novel but other characters came into light that made me second guess myself which made it quite surprising when the ending finally came.

The climax was wonderfully done. We get a nice action scene between Emily and her captor, as well as a look into the police and what they're doing to save Emily from the killer. The final scene between Emily and her captor was wonderfully written, fast paced without feeling rushed and it kept you on the edge of your seat. My only complaints were Emily herself. After 15 years, she still acted like a helpless victim. And, the scenes between Emily and her high school crush Bailey were painfully done. Each time their attraction was played out, it was quickly stopped which became a low point in the story until things finally had a chance to play out in the end.

All in all, I consider this a must read if you're entry thriller/mystery novels. 

1 comments:

Deirdra Eden-Coppel said...

Great review.

You have a fabulous blog! I’m an author and illustrator and I made some awards to give to fellow bloggers whose sites I enjoy. It’s not a pass on award. This is just for you to keep. I want to award you with the Best Books Blog Award for all the hard work you do! By the way, I’m your newest follower.

Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
~Deirdra

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.