Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Wednesday, July 20, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: Love Lies Bleeding by Jess McConkey (ARC)

Love Lies Bleeding: A Novel
Rating: 5 out of 5

Love Lies Bleeding: A NovelSummary: Sam is the victim of a terrible crime, one that leaves her in the hospital in a coma for months and it left her with terrible anxiety and nightmares that are a constant reminder of what happened to her. Her family takes her to a secluded lake front cabin so she can work on her recovery and, Sam thinks, to keep her away from the public eye, as her family are quite well off and she doesn't think she wants them to know everything that is happening with her. Of course, her family knows best and this is a constant struggle for Sam as she must work to get better and finally put her foot down to do what is right for her. However, the entire community seems to have secrets and no one is safe. Sam once again finds herself in trouble and she must make a decision fight or suffer at the hands of another enemy.

My thoughts: I wasn't sure what to think about this but when I entered the contest on Library Thing for this book, I knew that I had to read it. I began reading it and couldn't put it down, it was that good. At first glance, this just seems to be a story about a woman trying to get better after a terrible crime, but the more you read into it, the more you realize that this tale is more than what it seems. It seems to have an air of paranormality to it as well, as Sam seems to be haunted by a woman that the entire neighborhood had dealings with. And then, you have her family. They treated her like she was a child and pushed her around over and over again claiming it was all in her best interest. They truly angered me. I really just wanted to give her dad a great big slap because I really hate how he treated his daughter. She's 35 and yet daddy dearest wanted to treat her like she was five. I guess that's a good sign, the book really got me really involved with Sam and her life even if I did dislike her family.

When we finally reach the truth about everything that happened in that lake front town, it's quite shocking. I didn't expect that character to be involved in any wrong doings. McConkey did a great job at steering us away from the real culprit. I had at least two other characters pegged for 'the one' but it turns out I was really wrong. If anything, I really hate those books that clearly give away the person that is the cause for the entire story, but this isn't one of them. This is truly a great read!

1 comments:

Melissa said...

I won this off LibraryThing, as well. I haven't read it yet, but I need to. So glad to hear it was great. Looking forward to picking it up, hopefully sometime this weekend.

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.