Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: Always a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough (ARC)

Always a Witch
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Always a Witch
Summary: Tamsin is haunted by her grandmother's prophecy, her grandmother says Tamsin will have a crucial decision to make, one that could change everything. Then, she hears her family rival, Alistair Knight has gone back into time to Victorian New York to warn his family about Tamsin and the Greene family, she doesn't waste any time; she time travels to try and fine the Greene family so Alistair and the Knight family can be stopped once and for all. She doesn't expect to find herself work as a lady's maid in the Knight mansion, but when she realizes that's where she is, she decides to make the most of it, working from the inside to finally stop Alistair once and for all.

My thoughts: I read the first novel not long after it came out so sadly, you will not find a review for the first novel here. I was not too moved by the first novel but once I found out that a second book was coming, I decided I wanted to see how things ended. This book kept a lot of the elements from the first novel. One of my biggest problems from the first novel was I felt things were so rushed and there wasn't much detail. You didn't work up slowly to something, it was just thrown into your face. I felt the same with this book too. It wasn't bad, it kept the same magical elements, and magic is a large part of this novel. I feel though, the climatic parts of this book are just thrown together fast, coming to an even faster end.

I liked seeing the conclusion, and this book is a bit different than other YA novels. Tamsin has a difficult decision to make knowing that it will change her life and her families life forever. She comes to the realization as to why her grandmother raised her the way she did.  Many YA novels don't end on a sad note, they tend to end up a lot happier with everything working out perfectly for the main character in the end. This is NOT one of those novels. She has to accept the ramifications of the decision she made in the past. This book really pushes the idea of sacrifice sometimes being an important aspect of your life and how we sometimes have to sacrifice something we really care about for those that we love and even though it's hard, it has a greater purpose. This reads more like a 'moral of the story' novel than a 'here's a story I want to tell you' novel. All in all, it wasn't a bad read, I'd just like to see the climatic parts read more in depth and at a slower pace.

1 comments:

Cait said...

Great review, I know what you mean about the first book. I'm looking forward to reading this, I like that they're a little different from most YA books.

The Cait Files

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.