Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

A Visit from the Goon Squad
Rating: 4 out of 5

A Visit from the Goon SquadSummary: This story follows several different characters from their early years, through their later years. We hear from each character, get a peek into their lives, and the rise and fall of them. What follows is a sad look at life, the hopefulness we each feel, the downfall all of us face, and the sorrow of looking back, wishing we could go back, but yet, knowing all the same, we never can. Life is a goon that eventually nabs us all.

My thoughts: I admit it, I only read this because Good Reads is doing the book club challenge. However, I was pleasantly surprised with this novel and I am quite glad I read it.

The beginning immerses us quite quickly into the life of one main character and the current problems she's trying to face with her therapist. Eventually, we move on and peek into her past as well as the past of those around her. I really liked this novel because it's extremely bittersweet. I myself, can remember thinking and feeling the way the young characters in the novel did. We seem to think when we are young, we have the whole world ahead of us, we can do whatever we want and that, we'll always remain forever in the company of those we currently are friendly with. Of course, that's not the case. Everyone goes their own way. Things happen, people break up, marriages end in divorce and people lose their jobs. It's just life.

The ending was quite nice too. We eventually catch up with a few characters that are trying to find Sasha, one of their friends from the early days. They go to her old apartment hoping to find her and we're left long, just like the characters for some sort of closure or catch up. It's a good story. My only complaint is, some chapters near the end start to lag a bit as they get a bit lengthy in their explanations when readers really just want the story to move on. 

2 comments:

Jenica704 said...

I've been wary to pick up this book. It seems like a lot of majorly successful books that everyone raves about really aren't really all that good and I was afraid that this was going to be one of them. And the book blurb on the back cover wasn't all that enticing to me either. After reading your review though, I'm going to give it a second thought. Thanks for posting!

Grace at Feeding My Book Addiction

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful blog design...love it.

NEW FOLLOWER.

Just stopping by to have a look around.

Elizabeth

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.