Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Sunday, June 12, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (ARC)

The The Name of the Star
Rating: 5 out of 5

The The Name of the Star (Shades of London (Hardcover - Trilogy))Summary: Rory leaves small town Louisiana to attend Wexford boarding school in London as her parents have taken a sabbatical and are teaching overseas as well. Rory must adjust to boarding school as she's American and not used to British slang or how they do things. Thankfully, she settles into life with her roommate Jazza. The only problem is, Jack the Ripper seems to have resurfaced and is killing women, much like how they were murdered in 1888. One night, Jazza and Rory sneak out of their dorm to watch the police scene unfold on the night of another scheduled Jack the Ripper killing. When the second body isn't found, Rory and Jazza leave their friend Jerome to sneak back into their dorm. The only problem is, someone saw them, a man that was wandering around campus. The second problem? Jazza didn't see this man, and a woman is found dead on the school grounds the next morning. Rory suddenly finds herself in contact with a secret police branch run by the government and she learns something about herself too. When the Jack the Ripper killer sets his sights on Rory, she has a decision to make, save her new friends, or herself.

My thoughts: I really, really enjoyed this book and I am so grateful that I won this copy from Library thing! I expected a rather modern, logical conclusion to this tale, but really, it was something a lot stranger than I expected. I really liked how this book was a great blend of paranormal events, with, well government conspiracies.

The plot switched easily from one thing to the next and it was quite hard to determine where this book was going next. I didn't expect a lot of things to happen, nor did I always draw conclusions as to where we were headed next within the story. It's not so easy to decipher which I think makes this a great read. Too many books today are predictable which makes them boring and leaves me wondering why I even picked the book up to read. This is not one of those tales. The ending left me only wanting more! I cannot wait until the next comes out. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.