Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Rating: 5 out of 5

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar ChildrenSummary: Jacob has grown up hearing stories about an island and an orphanage with strange children since he can remember. Jacob, as a young child readily believes these stories but soon, as he grows older he begins to doubt their validity. Then, his grandfather dies in a very strange manner which sends Jacob into acute stress overload. He thinks himself crazy, but his psychiatrist believes it best for him to visit the island where his grandfather grew up, it might help put the stories to rest. Reluctantly, his parents agree, but his father accompanies him on the trip. Jacob spends days pouring over the old, battered house looking for signs of life from the time his father grew up there. Mysteriously, one day, he hears footsteps in the house and a girl calling for Abe, his dead grandfather. When he takes chase, he finds himself in another world, one full of peculiar children.

My thoughts:  I have to say, this book blew me away. At first, I wasn't too interested. I just kind of thought it would be a cheesy book that wouldn't be worth my time, but I was wrong. The writing drew me in immediately. I really liked the character Jacob. Yes, he came from a privileged family but he isn't a spoiled brat. He truly cares about his grandfather and really wants to put to rest what he was told as his grandfather took his last breath.  Jacob to me is sort of an outcast, he's not well liked, he's bullied, he's just a normal kid about to embark on a fascinating journey. I think that makes him so likable.

This book had another aspect that isn't in a lot of books either. Old photographs of strange looking children. They're just thrown in at different parts in the book. It helps make the story more real I feel , because we have pictures to go along with the children that we hear about. We also get to see hand written notes from characters, that too helps make the story more real and even more likable if that is even possible.

This story is sad, exciting and kind of scary all at the same time. You can't help but cheer for the characters, especially near the end because you so desperately want things to work out for them so they can all be happy. This is definitely a must read!

1 comments:

Cait said...

I got this for review and I'm much much more excited to read it now after reading your thoughts-thanks so much for sharing!

The Cait Files

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.