Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thursday, June 16, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games
Rating: 5 out of 5

The Hunger GamesSummary: The United States as we know it as collapsed, war, famine and hunger have long taken it's toll. The U.S is now the country Panem, divided into 12 districts with one main location known as the Capitol. Each year, two  people from each district, ages 12-18 are selected by a lottery to participate in The Hunger games. Part TV show entertainment, part intimidation, part bloodbath to see who comes out alive. When Katniss' sister Prim is selected to go, Katniss volunteers to go in her place. Peeta, the second representative of district 12 and Katniss have to fight to the death (literally) to see who makes it out alive. However, Katniss isn't comfortable with their rules of one winner and ends up making more trouble for herself.

My thoughts: Why on earth did I wait so long to read this?? I really enjoyed this story. I'm really starting to enjoy dystopian novels more, so this wasn't anything new to me. I really liked the concept. Yes, this was about a reality TV show, but this story focused more on the story than on the TV show itself. We get a real insight into the characters minds and lives instead of the inner workings of a TV show.

This story has all the great workings of a dystopian novel. One central location and population that survives and thrives, with the rest suffering and people barely paying them any attention. However, the thriving district tends to derive far more pleasure from watching children and teens from other districts dying and killing each other for simple glory than anything. The characters are really likable. Katniss is very likable from the beginning. She's just a humble girl trying to feed her family since her father is gone. She's learned to live from the land and make do with what she has. I really liked the fact that Katniss is not a woe is me character. She realizes that life isn't fair but she does what she has to, to make her life the best she can, with what she can.

Her opponent Peeta on the other hand, takes awhile to know. He's sort of misleading, however he turns likable. He's mysterious in the beginning but once we learn more about him, we understand his motives and his life.

I just really enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone that hasn't read it yet that enjoys dystopian novels!

2 comments:

Ravwrin NataEl said...

I'm agreeing with you. I have no clue why it took me so long to start this series. I'm only a couple of pages in and it's very good. It's doubly nice that I can discuss it with you and not care about spoilers. It usually slips my mind by the time I get to that part anyway. lol

karen! said...

I didn't read 'Hunger Games' until this time last year and once I started it I couldn't believe I'd waited so long. Such a great book.

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.