Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Sunday, May 15, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: Releasing Gillian's Wolves by Tara Woolpy (ARC)

Rating: 4 out of 5

Summary: Gillian Sach is married to a politician, they have children together and Gillian, like many other politicians wives campaigns with him, makes speeches at events she hates and she does all of the cooking for the events. That is the one thing Gillian doesn't hate though, it's the cooking. The only problem is, Jack, her husband is a cheater. It hasn't happened just once, not twice, but at least six times that Gillian knows about. Her son John has caught him in bed with other women, and her daughter has cut him out of her life because good ole Jack slept with her friend on her wedding day. So, it's not really a surprise when Gillian finds a hotel room key in her husbands clothes, and instead of confronting him, she does what she always does, forget about it until the next day, where she dishes to her gay best friend and neighbor, Edward. She's known him since she was a child, and she confides everything to him. Everyone wants to know why Gillian stays, especially now. After the election, Gillian leaves but tells Jack, as long as his business stays out of the papers, she'll continue to look like the dutiful wife, that is, until Jack's life finally gets the better of him.

My Thoughts: I was contacted by Tara to review this  book. I've had so many books on my Kindle to read that I finally had to push to get this one read. I was a little apprehensive about reading this as it's not generally not something that I would read. However, I put my fears aside and read it. I was not disappointed with the story, however I was disappointed with some parts of this story.

I liked Gillian even though she was a huge pushover. I guess I can't fathom why she'd put up with her husbands behavior considering everyone, including her grown children can recall him being unfaithful when they were children. However, as a politician's wife I imagine it would be a lot harder to leave knowing that your business would soon be all over the papers, including the trashy tabloids.

The one major problem that I had about this book was the dialogue. I felt like it was forced in parts, and sometimes, overly done. I felt like the characters beat some topics to death. However, that does get better. There are two major parts, close to the beginning and then close to the end where things got a bit boring for a few chapters.

My second issue with this book was the fact that in the beginning, I felt like instead of showing me what characters did, there was a lot of telling. Thankfully, this gets better as the book goes on, descriptions get better, but it can be a bit hard to read through at first.

All in all, I found this an enjoyable read and felt like this book came to a satisfying conclusion.

You can find out more about Releasing Gillian's Wolves at Bats in the Boathouse Press.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.