Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Monday, May 23, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium
Rating: 4 out of 5

DeliriumSummary: Lena lives in a government run society, one where, once she reaches the age of 18, she will receive "The Cure". The procedure will be performed in which she will be removed of her ability to fall in love. You see, in this society love is considered a disease. It's infectious and anyone under the age of 18 can contract it. Once you are cured however and since there is not a need for love, the government gives you a list of matches, the government appointed list of those that should be a right fit for you. And once you make your choice you are married, forever living your life with that one, single person in a society that isn't filled with hate, love or any emotion for that matter. There are some people in this society though that aren't cured like the Invalids; and then there are some people that are impossible to cure, those people either commit suicide (like Lena's mother) or spend their life in the Crypt's (a terrible, terrible prison). Lena is content with her life and is willing to receive the cure, that is, until 95 days before her procedure, she falls in love.

My thoughts: I found this book really hard to get into at first. I couldn't picture a society in which the government created such a paranoia over an emotion that they felt the need to create a procedure to remove all possibilities of love occurring. However, as I read more into the story and received more information on the background of the procedure and what the procedure reportedly did for society, I became intrigued. I really became attached to Lena and her cousin Grace (she never speaks and lost her mother to love as Lena did). I wanted to hear more and more of their story and I truly began to root for her once she fell in love.

This novel has a very bittersweet feel to it. Reading this, I could recall memories of my last summer before I started college and had to 'grow up'. I can remember thinking about all of those moments and memories and how they would be lost because in a few weeks, things would change. After one major turning point in the novel, I really rooted for Lena and her choice and then I had my hopes dashed.

I really wanted a happy ending one way or the other but this book does not come with happy endings. It's really rather disappointing.  So my star choice is because of a slow beginning and a rather abrupt ending. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.