Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Sunday, May 15, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: Anathema by Megg Jenson

Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy)
Rating: 5 out of 5

Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy)Summary: Reychel is a slave, forced to serve a cruel master that keeps her locked inside and forbids her to look out windows unless she is in his presence. She awakes one morning to find Ivy, her best friend and bed mate gone. Underneath the bed she finds a coin that only means one thing; Ivy has been kidnapped. Reychel isn't sure if the person that has kidnapped Ivy is friend or foe, but she goes about her business, fearful that she will be blamed for her disappearance. When she is summoned by her master to sit and tell him a story, everything goes wrong. For one, the story that she tells, includes herself and that gets her tossed into the dungeon where a cloaked stranger tells her she must run before she is brandished as Kandek's slave forever. What follows is a wild and strange set of events that reveals Reychel is more special than she believed herself to be and that appearances aren't always what they seem.

My Thoughts: I had this on my to read list for awhile so when I saw it's discounted price on Amazon a few days ago I went ahead and jumped at the chance. I was not disappointed. The descriptions in this book are very real and it's very easy to get whisked away into the story. I liked the slavery concept, but it goes much deeper than Reychel simply being a slave. It's the story about an entire kingdom that is held prisoner to a race of people bent on power and dominance while a rogue group of people are determined to save their people. There are hints of magic within this book and while it's not a lot, I have hopes that the second book will contain more. I want more, I want to see these people use their gifts. Nonetheless, the book gets a bit confusing in the end.

Not because things get muddled, but because the story line is much deeper than everything appears but that makes the story more interesting and real. I think the turn of events right before the book ends, although a cliff hanger, is not unbearable and really makes me want to read the second book. I'd like to know what happens to her gift? Does she manage to control it? Use it? This was a great read and I'm not disappointed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.