Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Sunday, February 27, 2011 | By: Traci

Review: Firespell (Dark Elite #1) by Chloe Neill

Firespell: A Novel of the Dark Elite
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Firespell: A Novel of the Dark EliteSummary: Lily Parker is sent to an elite boarding school in Chicago called St. Sophia's. Lily's parents are professors of philsophy and have decided to take a two year sabbatical in Germany to study and check out great works of art. Lily isn't too keen on the idea but she really has no choice. After all, the worst things she can face are her fellow students, right? Lily's suitemate Scout tends to disappear late into the night, Leslie is a loner, and then there is the brat pack; a group of girls determined to make her life miserable. One night, the brat pack locks Lily in a basement room and she escapes only to find her suitemate and a local boy from another school running from two people she's never seen before. Next thing Lily knows, she's hit with something green that came from the boy's hands, and then she wakes up in the hospital. Those kids clearly aren't normal, but more importantly, is she?

My Thoughts: First off, this was a quick read. I didn't mind it. The plot was easy to understand, the story flowed, and it had hints of magic. My biggest issue with this book was the banter between the characters. Yes, it can be fun to read, but really, it was annoying. It was full of sarcasm, and annoying quips. I myself am a fan of sarcasm, but the author seemed to use it to the point of annoyance. Instead of going on with the plot or working more substance into the storyline, the characters get into a word war, making up words or just continuing with banter that doesn't make sense. I don't feel like the the banter was helpful with character development either. I knew enough about the characters, it wasn't needed in my opinion for character development. I really wanted this book to be a lot better than it was. I might read successive stories, I just hope the characters lose their annoying banter!

2 comments:

Alison said...

Great review. I can see how so much sarcasm can get old. Have you read Neill's adult books. I like them. But there's also a lot of sarcasm.

Willow said...

No I haven't. I wasn't aware she wrote adult books. I'll have to look into it.

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011. Powered by Blogger.